These Giant Buckeye Cookie are like little peanut butter and chocolate balls. This recipe is perfect to make for sleepovers or parties, as it’s pretty simple and doesn’t take too long. If you love chocolate and peanut butter, you’ll love these buckeyes.
Tools You’ll Need
- Large Cookie Scoop – It’s not required, but it makes consistent sized cookies, which display beautifully and bake evenly. A 1 ounce scoop is preferred for these cookies.
- Mixer – Stand mixer or hand mixer (or combine by hand).
- Rubber Spatula – For folding the dough!
- Cookie Sheet or Flat Baking Sheet – A traditional cookie sheet doesn’t have sides, allowing you to slide cookies off easily. A flat baking sheet works too! I prefer a light color sheet for a balanced and evenly baked cookie.
- Parchment Paper – Use parchment for easy clean-up.
- Cooling Rack – While not required, it’s nice to remove your cookies to a cooling rack so air can circulate and they won’t continue to cook on the sheet!
- Creamy peanut butter – For the perfect chocolate and peanut butter combo
- Powdered sugar – To create the creamy peanut butter center
- Flour – For the fine, fluffy quality of these cookies, use all purpose flour.
- Cocoa powder – For the chocolate flavor
- Baking soda – For rise
- Salt – To balance out the sweet
- Butter – Softened, unsalted butter
- Sugar – To sweeten these cookies, use white granulated sugar
- Egg – Size large, for binding
- Vanilla extract – For fragrance and flavor
- Melt the white chocolate chips in a medium glass heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water on medium-low heat. Stir until melted. Remove from the heat but keep the bowl over the warm water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the melted white chocolate and beat on medium until smooth, about a minute. Place the bowl in the freezer until the mixture is firm enough to form a ball, about 30 minutes.
- Using a small scoop or spoon, roll the peanut butter mixture into about the size of a golf ball. Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining mixture. Freeze until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and roll the scoops into smooth balls. Plunge lollipop sticks or short, thick skewers into the centers of the balls. Freeze for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a medium glass heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water on medium-low heat. Stir until melted. Sprinkle in the espresso powder and stir. Taste the chocolate; if you want more coffee flavor, add more espresso powder 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Keep the bowl over the pot of hot water to keep it hot while dipping.
- Holding the balls by the skewers, dip the balls only three-quarters of the way into the melted dark chocolate, leaving a quarter inch of exposed peanut butter at the top (this way, it looks like a real buckeye). Let the excess chocolate drip off, then quickly sprinkle a pinch of flaky salt or pink salt right on top. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 1 hour. Remove the skewers from the buckeyes. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
|Amount Per Serving
|– Saturated Fat
How to Store
Room Temperature: Keep cookies in a sealed container for 3 days.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container for 5 days.
Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 2 months. Separate layers with parchment paper.
In summary, making the perfect giant Buckeye cookie is all about mixing your favorite cookie ingredients, adding peanut butter and chocolate for that special touch, and baking it to the perfect level of chewiness and crispiness. The bigger size adds extra fun! Whether it’s for a special occasion or just a sweet treat, this cookie brings happiness with its delicious flavors and textures.
Q: What makes a Buckeye cookie “giant”?
The term “giant” refers to an oversized cookie, often larger than a typical cookie, creating a more substantial and indulgent treat.
Q: Can I use any cookie dough for a Giant Buckeye Cookie?
Yes, you can use your favorite cookie dough as a base, but incorporating peanut butter and chocolate is essential to capture the classic Buckeye flavor.
Q: How do I achieve the perfect balance of chewiness and crispiness in the cookie?
Adjust the baking time to achieve your desired texture. A slightly longer baking time can make the edges crispier, while a shorter time results in a chewier center.
Q: Is there a specific peanut butter-to-chocolate ratio for a Buckeye Cookie?
The ratio can vary based on personal preference. Experiment with different amounts to find the balance of peanut butter and chocolate that suits your taste.
Q: Can I customize the Giant Buckeye Cookie with additional ingredients?
Absolutely! Feel free to add chopped nuts, caramel, or other mix-ins to personalize your Giant Buckeye Cookie.
Q: How should I store a Giant Buckeye Cookie?
Store it in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. For longer storage, freeze it in a sealed bag, ensuring it’s well-wrapped to prevent freezer burn.
Q: Can I make individual-sized Buckeye Cookies instead of one giant cookie?
Yes, you can portion the dough into smaller cookies and adjust the baking time accordingly for delicious individual Buckeye Cookies.
Q: Can I use store-bought cookie dough for convenience?
While homemade dough is recommended for the best flavor, you can use store-bought dough as a shortcut. Just be sure to add peanut butter and chocolate to capture the Buckeye essence.
Q: Can I make a Giant Buckeye Cookie for special occasions?
Absolutely! A Giant Buckeye Cookie can be a festive and impressive dessert for birthdays, holidays, or any celebratory event.
Q: Can I share the Giant Buckeye Cookie recipe with others?
Of course! Sharing the joy of baking is always encouraged. Feel free to pass on the recipe to friends and family who might enjoy making the Perfect Giant Buckeye Cookie.